SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#147386 - 01/12/07 09:35 AM Getting the "Cream of the Crop" Gigs
GlennT Offline

Loc: Medina, OH, USA
How do you go about getting the private parties (50th wedding annaversary, retirement parties, etc) and corporate affairs? The senior home jobs are pleantful and have gotten to be more than I can handle, or want to handle. Senior dances are coming in, but there's not enough of them.

I've done a few private affairs and they are certainly more rewarding, but an attorney who's about to have a party recognizing his retirement from the law firm isn't likely to hear me entertaining in a nursing home. In the old days when I was playing at lounges, I was asked quite often if I would play for a private party, but moving the B3, Rhodes, Clavinet, and Shure Vocalmaster for a single night was out of the question. With the setups we have now, that's all changes.

Any ideas?

Glenn

#147387 - 01/12/07 10:18 AM Re: Getting the "Cream of the Crop" Gigs
TP123 Offline

Loc: Fla. / Nashville
Please see the thread

"Getting the Gig..."

#147388 - 01/12/07 11:14 AM Re: Getting the "Cream of the Crop" Gigs
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
My summer job is at a restaurant used by the top companies, horse farms, etc. for business and personal functions. I leverage this summer job into nice paying winter corporate jobs.

Other long-standing community functions give me another "leg up". Around here, connections are more important than talent (thank goodness)!

Russ

#147389 - 01/12/07 11:39 AM Re: Getting the "Cream of the Crop" Gigs
Bill in Dayton Offline

Loc: Dayton, OH USA
Interesting question, Glenn...

I went back and looked at my 2006 bookings, and 34 of my 424 total bookings fit your general description of "Cream of the Crop (CotC) " gigs...So, about 8% were of this variety. Roughly just under three gigs per month were of this type, on average.

One thing that immediately jumped out at me was that every one of those premier gigs came to me because of another gig or account that I already had. These CotC gigs were refferals from animal clubs, nursing homes, senior centers, shopping malls. Usually via word of mouth. One gig was booked site unseen directly from my website. I had zero agency gigs last year.

I use my full set-up for 95% of all my gigs and it seems to pay off bigtime. The lady in accounting at the nursing home who is getting married next Summer, the cook in the kitchen of the Moose who knows someone in his prayer group at church needs music for their retirement party, etc, etc, etc...

Another source of jobs I've hitched my wagon to are two well known, reputable charities. (American Heart Association and the Althzeimers Association) I donate my time 1-2 times a year for fundraisers for each organization. In turn, they show their appreciation to me by hiring me at a slightly discounted rate to perform at their major fundraising events which are usually black tie affairs. The exposure I get and ensuing business that follows is very consistant each year. Another thing that helps is that I'm easy to work with, unlike the previous keyboard player who was tempermental and not THAT good.

Its kind of like a seed. I keep the freebies to a minimum. Usually 3-4 shows a year if that. The benefit from establishing relationships with this target market don't always sprout immediately, but enough of the do every year that I think my way is a way that works.

Regards-

Bill in Dayton

[This message has been edited by Bill in Dayton (edited 01-12-2007).]

#147390 - 01/12/07 12:07 PM Re: Getting the "Cream of the Crop" Gigs
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Quote:
Originally posted by captain Russ:
Around here, connections are more important than talent (thank goodness)!

Russ

.... not in your case, Captain ...
t.

#147391 - 01/12/07 01:32 PM Re: Getting the "Cream of the Crop" Gigs
GlennT Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by captain Russ:
My summer job is at a restaurant used by the top companies, horse farms, etc. for business and personal functions. I leverage this summer job into nice paying winter corporate jobs

My point exactly. If you're in a venue that provides that kind of exposure, it helps considerably. Although I've had some referals from the senior home circut, it's just not the place business executives hang out.

Has anybody had sucess in advertising in the senior newspapers, or the community events TV channel?

#147392 - 01/12/07 04:10 PM Re: Getting the "Cream of the Crop" Gigs
Esh Offline

Loc: Hilton Head, SC, USA
Referrals are great but I'm into free marketing. Yellow pages are good for gathering websites, email contacts and fax numbers of hotels (F&B managers and events coordinators), catering companies, wedding coordinators, associations (yacht clubs etc.), and civic facilities that host events. Also I watch the newspaper and online want ads under food & beverage for contact info. I especially look for business websites which can give you all the other info you need. I keep this info organized and several times a year I send introductory emails and/or a one page fax with some info about my music and services. This gets my name into the backroom of the business rather than simply getting to the front desk, especially with major hotels. Usually I get a few replies asking for demo CD's or more info and that's when I spend a few bucks sending stuff out. It costs very little and I score a few new gigs this way every year plus increase my name recognition overall.

Also new this year (at least in my area), my local phone company's Yellow Pages are offering to let me print my business card under "Entertainers" and "Wedding Services". Before you had to have a business phone line in addition to the cost of the ad which was too expensive, but no longer. My YP ad will have my cell phone number on it.

#147393 - 01/13/07 07:20 AM Re: Getting the "Cream of the Crop" Gigs
GlennT Offline

Esh, you've brought up some excellent ideas; I'll be following up on some of them soon. I also plan to place a small ad in the senior newspaper ASAP. I'm really looking for the 50th annaversary affairs, I've done a few and they're pay off well. I'll let you guys know how the ad works out.

Glenn

#147394 - 01/13/07 03:51 PM Re: Getting the "Cream of the Crop" Gigs
Jerry T Offline

Loc: Phila. 'burbs, Pa. USA
Hello,
I have been playing in a little Italian restaurant for 6 years and almost all of my "cream of the crop" jobs have come from the exposure I receive from this particular venue. Years ago, I placed ads in the yellow pages and various other ad recourses. The only really successful ads were the ads that were directed at children’s entertainment, for whatever reason. I have many friends that are outstanding musicians that work far less than I do - a mediocre player. I have found that if you Entertain, not just play well - ensure that your audience has a great time, 'they'll' beat your door down. Of course, you must impress upon your audience that you really enjoy what you’re doing, even on those occasions that you are exhausted to the bone, have a headache, problems at home etc. You must make it obvious that you’re having a great time, in turn, your audience will enjoy themselves and become patrons and pay you good money - often.
Ciao,
Jerry

#147395 - 01/14/07 04:56 PM Re: Getting the "Cream of the Crop" Gigs
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Glenn,

Sorry I couldn't get to this earlier, but I've been out of town for four days on an Emcee job. The best advice I have on this one is to merely target your audience with direct mail advertising. In some instances an agent may be of help, but most want to book larger bands to bost their commissions.

Good Luck,

Gary

------------------
Travlin' Easy

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#147396 - 01/14/07 05:29 PM Re: Getting the "Cream of the Crop" Gigs
Dnj Offline

Bottom Line: If you want the cream of the crop gigs.....be a cream of the crop entertainer...there is no way around it....you get one chance, screw it up & your done....bad news travels very fast.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online